This salad’s earthy mixture of king oyster mushrooms and hazelnuts is a conversation-starting side for its unique combination of flavors, but also meaty and flavorful enough to stand on its own.
The garlic, maple syrup, and parmesan lend the dish a perfectly balanced flavor. Save extra skewered mushrooms for use in sandwiches the next day.
How to Make It
- 1 lb (454 g) king oyster mushrooms
- 1 bunch green onions, tops and bottoms trimmed
- ½ cup hazelnut or extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- 6 cups baby arugula
- ¾ cup shaved Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 tsp Maldon or flaky sea salt
- Wooden skewers
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Toast hazelnuts on a baking sheet for 15 minutes or until skins are quite dark. Shake the baking sheet occasionally while toasting. Let the hazelnuts cool for five minutes. Then, transfer to a cutting board, rub and peel off skins and discard. Coarsely crush nuts using a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, garlic, kosher salt, and ½ tsp of black pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Put a wooden skewer vertically through the center of each mushroom. Score four diagonal cuts on opposite sides of the skewered stems with a small knife. Remove skewers and brush mushrooms and green onions lightly with vinaigrette. Set remaining aside for finishing the salad.
- Grill mushrooms on a preheated barbecue or grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill five minutes per side or until mushrooms are deep golden brown. Grill green onions until wilted and starting to char.
- Arrange arugula on a serving platter. Then, place mushrooms and green onions on top. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette. Top with shaved Pecorino Romano and hazelnuts.
- Sprinkle with Maldon sea salt and remaining black pepper and serve.