There’s hardly a more nostalgic treat than an ice cream cookie sandwich–but crafting the perfect one requires a specific base: a thin, chewy cookie that’s still easy to eat once it’s frozen.
Though the 1 tbsp portions of dough may seem small, we promise they’ll spread into the perfect size. One more tip: if you don’t have black cocoa powder on hand, be sure to grab some at your local bulk food store–it’s crucial for that cookies and cream feel.
How to Make It
For the Sandwiches
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup black cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup old-fashioned brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Vanilla bean, strawberry or chocolate ice cream
- Arrange racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven. Preheat to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Sift flour with cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter with sugars and honey on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add egg and vanilla until almost combined. Add flour mixture and continue to mix on medium-low speed just until the dough comes together.
- Stir dough with a spatula to remove any streaks. Using a small cookie scoop that’s 1 tbsp in size, scoop flush portions of the dough on prepared sheets, 2 inches apart (about 8 scoops per sheet).
- Bake in the top and bottom thirds of oven, switching sheets halfway through, until edges are beginning to set, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool completely for 20 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place a parchment-lined baking sheet in the freezer. Using a large ice cream scoop that’s 1/4 cup in size, top bottoms of 3 cookies with a portion of ice cream. Sandwich each with 3 more cookies, bottoms facing down, gently pressing from the center with the palm of your hand until ice cream is even and almost fills to the edges. Immediately transfer to frozen baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cookies and ice cream. Freeze until set, at least 1 hour. Serve immediately.
How to Store It
Sandwiches can be made ahead and frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.